How Safe is Your Home from Fire?

There are no laws stating you to have any form of fire prevention systems in your home, however the law ‘requires that a smoke alarm is fitted on every storey of a property, and that a Carbon Monoxide Alarm is fitted in any room with a fuel burning appliance’.

Between March 2017 and March 2018 41% of dwelling fires (house, flat etc.) started in the kitchen and out of all the deaths due to house fires 14% of them were due to a fire that started in the kitchen.  You need to take extra care when cooking in your kitchen, make sure to make your cooking area as safe as possible avoid leaving children alone in the kitchen if you are cooking on the hob make sure handles are not hanging over the side so no kids can grab them and to make sure no one catches the handle as they walk past. If you are wearing loose clothing take care as they can easily catch fire. Likewise make sure toasters are not left near curtains and are kept clean along with the oven, hob and grill a build up of fat and grease can help ignition of a fire.

If you have a deep fat fryer in your home make sure you cook with care, if the oil starts to smoke it’s too hot turn off the heat and leave to cool down. Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer as they can’t overheat.  If there is fire don’t take any risks turn off the heat if possible and NEVER throw water over it. Remember Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999.

Electrical Fires equated for 25% of all fires visited last year, that had started in the home, always check that you use the right fuse to prevent overheating and make sure you are not over loading plug sockets. Try and make sure each appliance has a British or European Safety mark along with its own plug socket. When using an extension cord or adaptor they will have a limit to how many amps it can take. Different appliances use different amp plugs, you don’t need to know the amp of every appliance just use an extension cord with care and common sense. Keep your eye out for dangerous or loose wiring and for scorch around plug sockets as this could be a sign of a faulty wire.

Cigarettes are a major cause of Dwelling Fires and result in the most deaths per year, if you smoke in your house or property make sure to stub them out properly and dispose of them carefully. If you use a wastepaper basket or an unproper ash tray its time for a change, use a proper ash tray. Take extra care if you have cigarettes when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs that could increase drowsiness or if you have been drinking, as they may result in you falling asleep and possibly setting your bed on fire or your sofa.  Consider buying child resistant lighters and matches and keep them out of reach of children.

Candles are similar to cigarettes make sure to put a candle out when you leave the room and make sure they are fully extinguished at night, don’t leave a child or pet alone in a room with lit candles, as they may burn themselves or the candle could be moved/knocked to cause a fire. Candles should be secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire.

Knowing this information is important, as there are no legal requirements for you to have any fire prevention system in your home but there are products that can be obtained to stop fires and protect your homes.

Top Tips:

Kitchen:

  1. Keep hot sauce pans out of reach of children.
  2. Don’t put anything metal in the microwave.
  3. Keep electrics away from water.

Electrics:

  1. Don’t overload plugs.
  2. Keep electrical appliances clean and in working as this will prevent the triggering of a fire.
  3. Ensure your furniture has the fire-resistant permanent label.

Cigarettes:

  1. Make sure your cigarettes are put out properly.
  2. Don’t smoke in bed.
  3. Don’t leave a lit cigarette lying around, even if its in the ash tray.

Candles:

  1. If you leave the room extinguish the candle.
  2. Don’t put candles near curtains or blinds.

Keep pets and children away from Candles.

Leave Your Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*